Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Welcome to my garden blog!


Nearly every morning I sit on my front steps with a cup of coffee and look at my garden. I'm amazed at the colors, the textures and the smells of all of the plants I've managed to squeeze in there. I see successes. I see mistakes. And I see lots of weeds.

None of my friends really care to talk to me about plants. They think my yard is pretty, don't get me wrong. But they couldn't care less about knowing the names of the several different varieties of hardy geraniums I have, or why I like shrub roses instead of tea roses. They don't care about why my Heptacodium miconioides (Seven Sons Plant) is so cool.

So I'm starting this blog instead of sitting on my front steps talking to myself. If nobody ever reads this at least I have a garden journal that I can read to myself. It may give me hope during the two or three months I don't have anything blooming in my yard.



My yellow peony

One of the joys of gardening for me is remembering where I acquired and why I have certain plants. Many of my plants have stories. Some were given to me by friends and some I started from seeds or cuttings. A couple of them I hauled home in a bus for days from Minnesota. Some were huge when I planted them, but most were small and I've nurtured them to their current glory. All of my plants bring memories that are mostly pleasant.

Take for example the peony I bought for $200. Yes, you didn't read that wrong, two hundred dollars. Why, on earth would anyone spend so much for a plant? The obvious reason is that it is a most rare plant, it's herbaceous, and it's yellow. (There are cheaper Japanese tree peonies that are also yellow.) It's called "Lemon Chiffon" and that's precisely its color. The less obvious reason is that my husband, before he died, told me to buy it as a gift from him for our anniversary.  I never got around to it until two years after he was gone—I wish I had bought it when he told me to. But just the same, when I look at it I think of him and remember he was the kind of person that would understand I would prefer a yellow peony to a $200 pair of earrings any day.

Incidentally, I drove to Snohomish to buy my peony from A & D Peonies. It's worth a drive if you like peonies. They have nice daylilies as well. You can also visit their web site at www.adpeonies.com.


4 comments:

  1. I love to talk about plants. My mom taught me to love all things that grow. She has this unusual gift, she can identify what something is even when it is very tiny. I have a Dogwood tree- white, that I found when it was only one inch tall, I have a pink hydrangea that was a gift when my son was born. Moss amazes me. My favorite picture ever of something growing is of some mushrooms I saw one day. I collect hen & chicks & rockery plants. We are moving soon, so this year I did not do much in my yard and I miss it very much. I never feel closer to Jehovah than when I am on my hands and knees up to my elbows in the dirt- I am sure that would be amusing to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE, Love, love blog about your garden! I would LOVE to see and talk to you about it....it's just hard to fit it around work schedules, distance & such ~hugs, Connie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer, I also love hens and chicks. That's one of the plants that has a story in my yard, I'll have to tell it soon.

    Come by some time after you move and I'll give you some starts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this Julie!!! I look forward to learning a lot! :)Thank you!

    ReplyDelete